Monday 21 September 2009

Good weekend

This weekend was one of the best weekends ever! It was hot, sunny and beautiful. What makes it even better is that it's the middle of September. Although I was in Korea last year, I've been told that this is the hottest weather Winnipeg's had all 'summer'!

Friday was a lazy day. Didn't really do a whole lot. I went for sushi with dad, mowed the lawn, and watched a movie.

Saturday, I went out with Z and her son T. Our original plan was to go to the MTC costume sale, but the line-up was way too long. So instead we decided to wander around the exchange for an hour, or at least until T started getting restless. After a brief parking nuisance(the meter ate my toonie), we stopped at a baby shop. I observed two things: the new mothers in the store seemed to be surrounded by an aura of maternal beauty, while the fathers (unsurprisingly) emitted an energy of fearful anxiety. This is to be expected for new fathers. I on the other hand didn't know how to feel or act, so I assumed the role of the father, for only a moment. It was a strange, surreal feeling. I asked myself: Could this be me some day? Or will I remain a third wheel, living vicariously through other couples. The possibility is there, but for my kind it is definitely an up hill battle. That moment at the baby store seemed insignificant at the time, but I think that it will stand out in my memory.

On our way home from the store, Z put T's new sunglasses on her son, which I bought. Expecting to see a picture perfect moment, he immediately ripped them off his face and proceeded to chew on them. Oh well, at least he'll be using them in some way, shape or form. After returning to Z's place, we decided to stop at the nearby BDI for some ice cream. On the way I knocked on my cousins door. She and her new husband R only live about a block away. R greeted me with a smile and said that L was out shopping. R was resting for his final performance of a Winter's Tale that evening. I saw the show the previous weekend and I have to say that it was one of the best Shakespeare productions I've seen. No lie. Anyway, after saying our goodbyes we headed down the street, picked up Z's sister at her place and got some dessert.

That evening was my friend C's 30th birthday party! It was great visiting with friends I haven't seen for a while.

Such a great weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment